Lyrids meteor shower | An observation
From Saturday, April 22, 2017 20:00 to Sunday, April 23, 2017 01:00
BLOM, Beirut, Lebanon
The Lyrids meteor shower is approaching, BeirutVersus present an observation night on Saturday the 22nd of April.
Transportation will be only by bus from / to in front of BLOM Bank, Dora.
Two talks will be given throughout the observation night:
- On the Future of Imaging / Astrophotography
- On the Delights of Coffee / Astrophotography
As the talks are part of the event and will partially be taking place on the route to Kfardebian, we will only be registering those who would like to join us by bus.
The program of the night will be the following:
- Departure: 8:00PM sharp. No delays will be allowed and meeting the bus en route is not an option, the bus will be leaving at 8:00PM, please be by the bus by 7:45PM max.
- On the future of Imaging / Astrophotography: Talk by Khalil Azar in-bus, on the way to Kfardebian.
- 09:30PM Arrival on location, setting up tripods / cameras / mattresses.
- 10:30PM On the delights of Coffee / Astrophotography talk, Lyrid observation, exploring the spring night sky.
- 11:00PM Further astrophotography, Milky Way core rising.
- 12:30AM Return to Beirut by bus.
The night will be very cold, temperatures are expected to be be less than 10 degrees. Dressing up warm is essential, with multiple insulating layers, nature is not to be taken for granted. Double layers of socks or thermal socks are necessary, sweaters, scarfs, jackets.
We will be departing back to Beirut by 12:30AM.
Observations will be thru live astrophotography and binoculars, plenty to be discovered in the winter night sky.
The event fee is nonrefundable, phone contact details will be provided upon registration, further enquiries taken via the page messaging feature.
In case of cloudy skies, the event will have a one hour workshop on night photography instead.
Please feel free to bring own snacks / drinks as there are no food stands on-location.
The event fee is 25$ per person and includes:
- Transportation to / from site by bus
- Two astrophotography talks
- Group photos of the night
- Night photography workshop in case of cloudy skies
The event is limited to a maximum of 40 attendees / a single bus.
Astronomy musings with a twist from Beirut, Lebanon.
Astronomers Without Borders affiliate.